Vitamin D: everything you need to know about this vitamin

Do you know what vitamin D is and what its function is in our body? On this occasion, we reveal everything you need to know about this vitamin. Through the diet we ingest the necessary nutrients for the organism, and among those nutrients are vitamins. The main problem they present is that, normally, the body is not capable of manufacturing them by itself, at least in the necessary proportion. Due to this, it is essential to go to other ways such as food or supplementation.

What is vitamin D?

We commonly use the term “vitamin D” to refer to the compound cholecalciferol (D3). It consists of a fat-soluble vitamin, that is, it is present in fatty bases. Its most important function is related to calcium, since it is the main structural component of bone mass. how to get it We can say that we are facing a somewhat special vitamin. Although it is present in fatty foods, almost 80% is synthesized internally by the body through exposure to sunlight. The remaining 20% ​​would have to be achieved through diet. Despite the fact that the sun can serve as an ally to achieve correct levels of vitamin D, we must be very careful with sun exposure so as not to suffer burns or other risks. Regarding food, we find the following main sources:
  • Fatty fish like salmon, tuna, and mackerel.
  • Dairy products such as milk, yogurt, cheese, and butter.
  • Seafood such as oysters, prawns, prawns and clams.
  • The liver of animal origin, for example that of rabbit and that of calf.
  • The eggs. In this case the vitamin D has been concentrated in the yolk. You already have a reason not to use only the egg whites in your recipes.
Consequences of having a vitamin D deficiency Deficiencies of this vitamin can cause certain problems related to bone health. In addition, it has now been discovered that they also worsen infectious pathologies, inflammatory processes and negatively affect muscle function. Vitamin D is involved in the development of the immune system, controls blood sugar levels, ensures proper functioning of the respiratory system and helps cognitive function. Why is there a deficit? One of the main reasons why a vitamin D deficiency usually occurs is the elimination of products with a high fat content. Normally, the consumption of fats is associated with weight gain and an unbalanced diet. However, over the years there has not been a clear differentiation between the types that exist. If we remove from our diet even those fats that are healthy, we run the risk of our body suffering from a deficit. To check if your body has the appropriate dose of vitamin D, go to the doctor to request an analytical evaluation. In short, to maintain the necessary amount of vitamin D, the ideal is to do some exposure to the sun, always carefully and logically; eat some foods rich in healthy fats and, if necessary, you can resort to supplementation.