What is Ashtanga Yoga?Ashtanga yoga consists of the combination of postures or asanas with breathing techniques or pranayama and, in addition, meditation is added . It is important to link the posture we adopt with the next one so that the movements are fluid. The goal is to achieve optimal synchronization. There are three elements that will help you in coordination:
- The first of these is the Ujjay breath , with which the glottis slowly contracts. Breathing is slower and deeper.
- Muscle contractions are also performed to control the effort.
- Finally, the Dristi or gaze concentration plays a relevant role.
What is the structure of Ashtanga Yoga?The practice consists of four different parts : start series, main series, back stretching sequences, finishing sequence. The starting series are done with 10 sun salutations and sustained postures. Regarding the main series, it is possible to choose between six different ones, depending on experience and ability. If you want to know how to practice it, continue reading to find out.
How to practice Ashtanga Yoga?Ideally, you should sign up for a course in which a professional can guide you step by step . However, if you want to do it at home, we recommend starting with several repetitions of the first series, that is, of the greeting to the sun. To do this, do the following steps:
- Stand up and bring your hands together up to then descend with a deep breath until you touch the ground.
- Bring your right leg back, resting your knee on the ground.
- Next, move the other leg back. Keep both arms stretched out. In the Adho Mukha Svanasana posture , only the feet and hands remain on the ground.
- Bend your legs until you touch the floor with your knees, chest and forehead. Then, assume the position of the cobra .
- Come back to Adho Mukha Svanasana.
- Tuck your right foot through your arms as you lower your other knee to the ground.
- Without losing the fluidity of the movements, bring the other leg forward, put the feet together and bring the head towards the legs.
- Raise your trunk and place your arms up and slightly behind you while doing a slight bend in your back.
- Finally, exhaling, place your hands on your chest, palms together.
What are the benefits of Ashtanga Yoga ?
- With the execution of the asanas, strength, resistance and toxins are eliminated. It is a more demanding type of yoga.
- There is an improvement in self-awareness. You will learn to better control emotions and it will help you stimulate the mind.
- The state of relaxation and concentration that it provides is essential to unleash creativity.